Tuesday, March 4, 2014

February 2014 Book Review

February 2014 Book Review

Some good books this month, but it may have been more quantity over quality?  See which ones I actually recommend...

The Circle Maker - Mark Batterson

This one highly recommended by several people.  The book starts out strong, with great insights into prayer life!  With my monthly challenge this month to be praying on my knees I don't think I could have started with a better book.  The best thought from the book for me was that "God starts with IMPOSSIBLE".  As I left church listening to Christine Caine speak (Seacoast Church - Christine Caine) on this same subject it was awesome to open this book on that Sunday afternoon and see Mark speaking on the same topic.  As the book went on I felt it became a little redundant but have rated it 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.com.




David and Goliath - Malcolm Gladwell

If you have ever read any Malcolm Gladwell books in the past you will find this one just as enjoyable.  Just like his books in the past some of the chapters I would say are Awesome, and some the topic just didn't interest me.  But overall if you enjoy the psychological aspect of things you would love this.  My favorite topics in the book are when he talks about using a full court press in little league basketball, classroom size, and admissions into college.  Once again I love reading Malcolm and rated this book 4 of 5 stars on Goodreads.com.  Would recommend this book!  (also tells the story of David and Goliath in the Bible in a way I have never heard so that was AWESOME)


The Advantage - Patrick Lencioni


This is the second book I have read of his.  (the first being The Five Dysfunctions of a Team)  I would put this book in the same category as that one, many items I can relate it to my life and job but if I were in a business leader position I would find it even more beneficial.  I actually enjoyed this one more than the first book I read of his and found it to be very insightful on building a GREAT leadership team.  At this time I am not building a great leadership team, but will definitely use the notes from this book if I am ever in that position.  Rated this 3 of 5 stars on Goodreads.com and would highly recommend this to any business leader, church/youth pastor, or entrepreneur.




The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, Minnesota Vikings - Steve Silverman

This book was given to me by a friend Tommy Rapier when I worked at Virginia Tech.  I had skimmed it before and never really set down to read it.  Well, very glad I did, as a long time Vikings fan it was definitely time for me to really sit down and read the history of "my team".  Definitely learned things of the past I wasn't aware of so a great read of the super bowl less Minnesota Vikings and would recommend to any Vikings fan.  Rated it 3 of 5 stars on Goodreads.com.






Should We Fire God? - Jim Pace

This book intrigued me for three different reasons, the title, I use to attend the writers church in Blacksburg, VA while in college, and he wrote this based off of the events of the April 16th shootings at Virginia Tech.  First I would say there are some good insights in the book, but at the same time I find Jim all over the place, sorta jumping around.  I would enjoy one section and the next I would be asking myself what is he talking about right now.  All in all I probably wouldn't recommend this book but a book to read if you are intrigued by the three things I listed that intrigued me.  Rated it 2 of 5 stars on Goodreads.com.

To check out my Goodreads.com page please go to - Chris King's Goodreads Homepage  (Sign up for your own account, it is awesome!)



No comments:

Post a Comment