Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Super Center SAVIOR

Review of Jeff Noble's book - Super Center Savior

"I will mail you a book, if you write a blog post review about it"

This was the tweet from author Jeff Noble.  So obviously I hopped on this opportunity for several reasons.
1)  I have been wanting to read his book.
2)  I have a blog where I have the opportunity to write a book review if I wish.
3)  Last but not least, the obvious - a free book?  Come on now!

So after several messages back and forth, Jeff was a man of his word.  Received a copy of his book in the mail.  Being in the middle of several books at the time I waited a month to pick it up, so being a man of my word.

My review of the book...

The book has an all around metaphor of comparing Wal-mart to the life of a Christian and the church itself.  At first my mindset was a little prejudgmental on this comparison and how it could actually relate.  But Jeff does a great job in the beginning and throughout explaining the concept.  As he describes it late in the book as a "loose" analogy.

"Now I realize that some of you are "green" behind the ears and suggesting that the Wal-Mart corporation should be held up as an analogy like this makes your internal Prius stall out.  This book is not here to address the inequities of corporate growth or environmental concerns.  If that's the only way you can view life, and it's your passion , you probably will want to either tear this book up then recycle it, or go read this book out in a pasture with a kitten"

Jeff states in the beginning that he wants the reader and a usual church attender "to move from the idea of simply being present in church on Sunday to discover the radical joy of reflecting His presence while living between Sundays"  after reading this book I believe that is what can truly happen as Jeff truly relates to "real life" situations of a believer.

When thinking and looking back over a book I just read I like to think about two things.
1)  Where did I feel like the author was really talking to me?
and
2)  What questions can I be asking myself to improve my life after reading this book?

To hit on #1
He talks about church actually "sucking the life out of us".  I believe Morgann (my wife) and I can relate to this so much, as members of a church sometimes it can be draining and we begin to just be going through the motions and not even thinking about relationships, we just begin to participate and go to activities "just because" we are members of the church and that is what it is "suppose to look like" when you are a member.  "investing in religious activity rather than authentic relationships"

"The troubling reality is that the more involved in church we become, the more we want Wal-Church.  We want our church to offer us everything.  To meet all our needs.  To cater to our ministry and personal preference.  BUT IT'S NOT ABOUT US.  IT'S ABOUT HIM."

To hit on #2
One of the best things about this book is that Jeff will challenge you.  (Challenges you in that it is a long, really difficult book to get through?...NO, not at all.)  Challenge in the fact that I might see a topic that leads to a great question to continue to ask myself everyday!

-  "What would it look like if Christians lived their lives in a way that made them as accessible, convenient and beneficial as Wal-Mart?"
-  "Are we prepared to be obedient?" (Titus 3:1)
-  Do you have time to love your neighbor or are you too caught up in "church activities"?
-  Are you being intentional to notice your surroundings?
-  Why would people who aren't Christians come to our stuff if we never go to theirs?
-  When you hear the words of God, is this actually leading to ADJUSTMENTS in our lives, decisions, attitudes and relationships?
-  Are people a priority in your life over "things" and "experiences"?

Jeff does a great job of adding in scripture throughout the book, and it great to see where Jesus and his words speak through Jeff.

Recommendation:
I would absolutely recommend this book to all Christians.  I think the concept will really hit home with everyone and if you liked what I mentioned above then you will thoroughly enjoy this book.  It is a very quick read (small, 100 pages) and you can get it done in a weekend!

Hats off to Jeff for the great read and being an awesome guy to just send this my way down here in South Carolina! Hope I did the book justice in my post but at the same time didn't want to write too much so people wouldn't go read it themselves!

CLICK HERE TO PROCEED TO AMAZON TO PURCHASE!








1 comment:

  1. Chris, thanks so much for the kind review of the book. It's always encouraging to me to see what stood out and captured people's attention.

    ReplyDelete