Saturday, March 29, 2014

Comparison/Values



I am beginning to research topics that I am going to be talking about in the class I am teaching this summer and the fall, one of the big topics I am going to hit on is "COMPARING".  

How we all compare ourselves to others so much, but what truly matters is what WE VALUE.

Hopefully in my class I will be able to get the point across that you will always have less than someone and you will always have more than someone, but the key is to focus on what you are doing with what you have been given/blessed with, and not what others are doing with what they have been given. (it is the reminder that I need everyday and definitely one when I started college so hopefully I can get the point across with my students)  

So in doing so I came across a story that hit home so much that I thought it would be perfect to share on my blog. (the author is unknown)  So I am going to tell it in my own words the best I can...

There is a man who is a fisherman in a small coastal village in the Gulf of Mexico.
  
One morning when returning to the port he notices an American tourist standing there watching his boat come in as he has several large fin tuna in his boat.

The American complimented the fisherman on his catch of the day and asked him how long it took to catch them.

The fisherman replied "Only a little while"

The American then asked "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish" 

The fisherman replied "with this catch I have more than enough to support all of my families needs"

The American then asked "What do you do with the rest of your time"

The fisherman replied "I usually sleep as late as I want, fish a little, I play with my kids, take a siesta with my wife in the afternoon, then we stroll into the village in the evening to sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos, I live a very full life"

The American then scoffed at this, "I have a Harvard MBA and could really help you!  You should spend way more time fishing, with the proceeds of your catches you can buy a bigger boat, with the proceeds of the bigger boat you will be able to buy several boats.  Eventually you can grow and have an entire fleet of fishing boats and instead of selling your catch everyday to a middle man you can sell it straight to the processor.  Eventually even opening your own cannery.  You would get to control the product, processing, and distribution.  You would then need to leave this small coastal village and move to Mexico City, then L.A., then NYC where you will run your ever expanding enterprise."

The fisherman then looked at the American rather excited and said "how long will all this take"?

To which the American replied "15 to 20 years"

"OK, but what will happen after I have accomplished that?" The fisherman replied.

The American laughed "That is the best part!  When the time is right you will announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and you would become very rich, we are talking millions!"

"Millions... then what?" The fisherman replied.

The American said... "Then you would get to retire, you can move back to a small coastal village, where you can sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll into town at night for some wine and play guitar with your amigos"

With that said...
What a great time to ask yourself...
What do you value most?


Time to start being DRIVEN by what you have been GIVEN!  (not comparing yourself to others)

No comments:

Post a Comment