Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Stepping Out of the Comfort Zone:"SUP"

True statement:
We only try things we feel completely comfortable/confident in doing most of the time!  

Well last week I definitely stepped out of that "comfort zone".  Let me restate that, at first I felt forced by my wife Morgann to step out of my comfort zone.  But then when it was over, I was excited and pumped I did. 

What holds us back from wanting to step out of that zone?
For me it is a lack of confidence, if I am not confident in it or think that I will not perform well then it ain't for me.  Well, that is what went down last Thursday as Morgann signed me up for my first ever Stand Up Paddle board race.  (SUP)  

Going through my mind:  I have never done this before and I am not only going to just "SUP", I am going to race.  Knowing my competitiveness and hating to lose, I was definitely not wanting to step out of the zone for this.  Well, by the time Thursday had rolled around I had run out of excuses to give Morgann to why I shouldn't do this.  (ya know... my knee has been hurting me, other guys have their own paddles, do we even know how to get there, is it going to rain?, it is two hours before Thursday night football starts won't that be cutting it close? it cost 5$ to enter, and the obvious I have never done this before)  Morgann being her awesome self wasn't having any of it - IT WENT DOWN, AND OUT OF THE ZONE I WENT!



AND IT WAS AWESOME!!!  I did horrible in the race as you can tell in the above picture, no one is around me, because I am in dead last (really want to learn how to turn).  But it didn't even matter, it was so much fun, I have never enjoyed an activity so much that I finished last at. (can't believe I just wrote that)

After a couple disqualifications  (people not going around buoys correctly) and lack of people racing I even left with a medal?  


So I really can't wait to do it again, aka get my own Paddle Board so I can get in paddle board shape and actually learn how to maneuver one.  But I will take this as another prime example in life - that stepping out of your comfort zone, whatever that may be for you, in the end, REALLY IS WORTH IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment