Monday, March 11, 2013

Quitter - Jon Acuff

Quitter - By Jon Acuff
5th Book Review of the year!

I wanted to read this book basically for three reasons, and after I say these three reasons you may want to read it as well.  1) I love Jon Acuff's personality  2) He created a movie trailer for his book which enticed me (the link to it is below), and 3) I think we all ask this question at some point, "Am I really going to work for the job that I want to be and am suppose to be doing right now?"

What you want to get out of this book is all based off of the expectation that you have before you read it.  If you get this book thinking that Jon is going to tell you that it is time to quit your job and start doing what you love, then you are wrong, and I believe that to be a major positive about the book.  He is more realistic than I thought he would be.  I would say 90% of the book isn't the funny Jon Acuff, it is the "I'm being real with you" Jon Acuff, and I respect that.

As Jon says in the Trailer for the book - "Its time to close the gap between a day job and dream job, its time to be a Quitter"  If that sounds appealing to you right now in life, then pick up this read! - Quitter Book by Jon Acuff (Official Trailer)

Just a few of my favorites from the book:
-"Figuring it all out as you go is not a plan.  Escaping imperfect circumstances is not a purpose.  Quitting your job becasue it feels right is not progress.  It's precisely the opposite."
-"The operative word in the phrase "enough time" is not time.  Its "enough", and the truth you should accept is that you will probably never have "enough" time to pursue your dream.   But every day somebody somewhere is making magic with the less-than-enough time he has.  So can you, if you stop focusing on the amount of time you have and start focusing on the amount of tasks that really matter. 
- "Competition is a great motivator but horrible measurment...Pitting your dream against someone else's is a fantastic way to get discouraged and depressed.  Nothing good comes from measuring your dream against your competition"
-  There are several great comparisons throughout the book; David and Goliath vs. The Cinderella Story, and a man working overtime for more money vs. that time with his family  (but you have to read the book to really dive into these)

I will end with one thing that was added into this book that I will be using forever.  "Future Me"  Please click on the link and check it out.  It allows you to write an email to yourself for the future.  For example, writing an email to yourself of where you want to be in a week, year, 5 years, you can do it.  You will get the email sent to you at the time you choose to see where you really are in life.  If things have changed, if you have changed, what has gone wrong, what has gone right.  I can't wait to use this and so should you.  I will call this site "Goal Setting Amazingness".